Erin asked me to put together a blog that had "translations" of British things to American things. It is quite the list and over two weeks I was continually adding to it. I must say, I've come across some crazy things! Not much else to report, we leave for Poland in 6 days! Okay, enjoy!
UK to American
Fancy Dress Party = Costume Party
Pants = Underwear
Thongs = Flip Flops
Courgette = Zucchini
Washing Up = the dishes
Aubergine = Eggplant
Football = Soccer
Tea = sometimes just literally tea, but it could also mean dinner
Biscuit = cookie
Claret = (for us Unsophisticated…) a color yes, but refers to red wine
Crisps = chips
Chips = fries
Nob = Dick (usually referring to a man who is one)
Tatties = potatoes (in anything but Chip form at least in Scotland)
Spirit = Liquor
Boffed = Nailed (in the sexual sense)
Whinge = whine
Slash (to go for) = Take a piss
Sledging = sledding
Snog(ing) = Kiss(ing)
Trip-over = stumble
Round-about = traffic circle
Duel Carriageway = highway
Uni(versity) = our undergrad college
College = can mean high school
Stash = college/university clothing/gear like a hoodie etc. with the name on it
Football boots = Soccer shoes/cleats
Rubber = eraser
Jumper = sweater or sweatshirt either sex
Body warmer = vest i.e. a feather puffy vest
Pissed = drunk
Floor = anything not dirt i.e. pavement is the floor
For Collection or Take Away = Carry out food
Hob = stovetop
Pet hate = pet peeve
Pip = pit (as in a plum)
Olive Stone = olive pit
Here are some funny saying as well (which I must admit, I’ve picked up a few…)
UK to American
“I was trying to pull at the club” = “I was trying to pick-up or hit-on a girl/guy”
“I might/should/could/would do” = basically the “do” part sounds a little funny
“Can’t be bothered” = “I just don’t want to” or “too tired to” etc
“Go asleep” = rather than saying “go to sleep”
“Taking the piss” = bullshitting, pulling your leg, teasing sort of thing
Cheers!
Tori